Frequently Asked Questions

What is a homeowners’ association (HOA)?

An HOA is a not-for-profit corporation created by a real estate developer to manage and maintain a neighborhood or community. Control of the HOA eventually transfers from the developer to a volunteer Board of Directors made up of HOA members (homeowners). Membership in the HOA(s) is mandatory.  With the purchase of your home, you have agreed to become a member and to comply with all recorded Declarations of Covenants, Conditions and Restrictions (CCRs) for your particular neighborhood.  You may also live in an area with multiple HOA’s such as Suntree which has a Master Association and Neighborhood/District Associations.

How do I pay my assessments?

Each HOA is responsible for the billing and collection of its assessments.  Because you live in an area with multiple HOA’s, you will have multiple invoices/charges to pay. Assessments may be collected monthly, quarterly, semi-annually or annually, depending upon which associations you belong to.  Forest Lake Village Homeowners Association (FLVHOA), is your primary association. The Suntree Master Homeowner Association (SMHA), is your master association. Both of these associations invoice annually for assessments and they are due each January 1st.

Am I allowed to make changes or improve the exterior of my home including landscaping?

All exterior modifications to your home requires approval from your neighborhood/district FLVHOA and SMHA.  This includes, but is not limited to, painting your home or front door, adding a porch or lanai, adding a fence, building any kind of shade structure or pergola or building a pool.  For landscaping, there are some instances where approval may not be required.  Replacing dead plants or adding plants to an existing bed does not require approval.  However, larger projects such as adding trees or significantly changing the footprint of your current landscaping beds do require approval.  It is best to always check first before you purchase project supplies or do any work outside your home.  Otherwise, the expense to remove or change your modification can be a very costly mistake.

Are garage/yard sales allowed in Forest Lake Village?

Garage/yard sale rules are specific to each neighborhood/district.  There are some that allow it (with approval from the association) and some that do not allow any time of garage/yard sale.  There may also be designated times during the year where you can participate in a neighborhood/district-wide yard sale.  Contact your association for the rules in your specific neighborhood.

How do I find out my irrigation schedule?

Where reclaimed water is available, individual irrigation wells are not permitted.  Click here to visit the St. Johns River Water Management District webpage regarding irrigation restrictions and for more information on the rules and regulation governing irrigation.  FLVHOA irrigation source is reclaimed water and is served by the Brevard County Utilities Department. or call 321-637-5477 for automated updates.  Please visit their website for more information regarding the use of reclaimed water for an irrigation water source.